Saturday, July 14, 2012

We're having a heat wave! a tropical heat wave...

yeah, you know like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers... :) Nice weather. hight 80s/low 90s all week and dry. maybe too dry, the grass is dead. Weeds seems to be doing fine, thanks to the neighbour's cultivation of them. badda boom... So where is the summer going? RHEL class was good. A little too simple, maybe, but I still learned a lot and got to practice. I work from home, a long way from the nearest test center, so I don't know how I'm going to take the certification test. No sign of my son's PS3, so no movement on installing YDL (Yellow Dog Linux) on that. He's working at Kmart for the summer to get money to pay for car insurance. He wants to quite. He's lucky to have a job in this economy. "Youth is wasted on the wrong people!" (It's a Wonderful Life).. As for the Linux desktop... minor progress. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) on a third partition, so now I have RHEL 6.3, Debian 'Squeeze' and Ubuntu "PP" to play with. Trying to connect them to the work network(s) (yes more than one VPN required.. :( is a GIANT PAIN... Supposedly, there are THOUSANDS of people out there using this stuff, but I don't see it. Depots are missing stuff, there are typos in scripts, instructions are wrong. VPNs don't work... arghhhh... This is my 'special talent', I conclude. Anywhere there is non working crap, I intuitively zero in on... It's scary.. Well, vacation runs out on Monday. I still have unbooked time off. Think I'll schedule another week in August. I have another class in SLES (SUSE Linux) coming up in September. It's a 6 hours a week for 5-6 months class.. Should be fun. same issues with testing however..

No comments:

Post a Comment